Blog
November 7, 2015, 8:18 PM

History of the North Groesbeck Church of Christ


In 1890, six to eight families assembled to worship God. They held their services in a half dugout. It is uncertain how long the church met in the dugout. Soon, the members began worshipping in the town schoolhouse. Then, in 1925 it moved to a newly constructed building at its current location. In 1996, the church began to grow. Young people returned home and brought their families and friends. In 1999, the church decided it was time to modernize and build a fellowship hall, bathrooms and a baptistry. With the men doing much of the labor the new facilities were enjoyed by all. With the baptistry began a tradition of "signing" the wall; when one is baptized, they sign the wall and record the date of baptism. The wall is covered with names of those who recorded this life event and bears testimony of growth.

Soon, it was obvious the church needed additional classroom space. Two buildings were bought and moved in to provide for the needs of the growing church. It was not long until more space was needed, and in 2004, a new wing was added providing additional fellowship and classroom space, setting the stage for present day fellowship and worship.

During this time of growth, the church appointed elders and no longer needed the outside assistance of those who had served so faithfully from the Childress congregation in leading the church services. The men of the congregation share in the preaching and teaching of the Word.

The church is devoted to the youth of the community. Our congregations sends all the youth to summer camps and provides activities throughout the year.

The church is very actively involved in missions, providing support for missionaries as well as community outreach. The church is responsible for the backpack program for Quanah ISD, and also provides for the abandoned elderly people in the community by providing bags of food monthly The church also provides toiletries for needy children in the community schools. The church also supports the community food bank, Meals on Wheels and Kid Connection.

In 2015, the church added a state of the art sound and media system.

North Groesbeck Church of Christ is a thriving congregation of believers whose focus is to love God, cherish His Son, love each other and share the message of His grace with the world.